Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Top Ten Asian-American Comedians

David at Make it in the Motherland compiled a list of the Top Ten Asian-American Comedians of All Time.

Here is the list:

1. Margaret Cho
2. Russell Peters
3. Henry Cho
4. Ken Jeong
5. Aziz Ansari
6. Bobby Lee
7. Dat Phan
8. Rex Navarette
9. Kal Penn
10. Jo Koy

The post offers in depth bios and reasoning behind the choices. I commend David for taking on quite a daunting task. I didn't even know there were 10 mainstream Asian-American comedians! When I first read it I was like, "Are there 10 Asian-American comedians in the world?" To my surprise the answer was yes.

As for my own list, I would have left Ken Jeong off of it. Thus far his career has been too short and his recent Hangover role was odd and a tad bit degrading. Dat Phan doesn't make my list as well, but in all honesty I don't have a set list more of a floating Top 5. There is one glaring omission, however (this guy would have been my number one over Margaret Cho) and that is Steve Byrne.

As a fellow comedian I simply respect his comedy, style and attitude above the rest. No offense to Cho she has put in great work and has opened doors for many comedians (especially female comedians) but I don't find her funny. Honestly, not the least bit funny.

Steve Byrne still might be under the radar to some, but he has been touring the world and making audiences laugh across the globe.

Wikipedia
:

Byrne is a native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and of half Irish and half Korean descent.[1]

Byrne had a one-hour special on Comedy Central in 2008 titled Steve Byrne's Happy Hour. Byrne was also featured on the NBC series The Real Wedding Crashers and a featured comic on The Tonight Show. He has made appearances on Chappelle's Show, Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn, The History Channel's "History of the Joke," Mad TV's 300th episode and a Super Bowl promo on CBS with Prince and Bill Cowher. His stand-up has been featured on The Late Late Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Last Call with Carson Daly, BET's ComicView, ABC’s Good Morning America as well as Comedy Central's Premium Blend. He has been a featured comic in The Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal, the HBO US Comedy Arts Festival in Las Vegas the TBS Very Funny Festival in Chicago, the TBS Very Funny Festival in Toronto and The CanWest Comedy Fest in Vancouver. Recently, he has appeared on the new Showtime comedy series "Live Nude Comedy" and shot a pilot for the G4 Network based on a Japanese Game Show called "Drunken Businessman". Byrne is currently on the road preparing for his second hour special for Comedy Central taping in the fall of 2009 called "The Byrne Identity".


Some samples:

Steve Byrne - Male Strippers
www.comedycentral.com
Futurama New EpisodesUgly AmericansFunny TV Comedy Blog


Steve Byrne - Jobs
www.comedycentral.com
Futurama New EpisodesUgly AmericansFunny TV Comedy Blog


I would also add myself to that list, but I haven't had my big break yet...being a comedian is tough work and it takes extreme discipline. Some people might have the gift, but not the work ethic to learn and hone their craft. Everyone who is listed including Byrne (sans Ken Jeong) are solid in my book and deserve their credit. Now that I see this list though, I realize I need to get to work, where is my pen? I need to write some more jokes! ( I will also add one more sentence or two in parenthesis since tonight they seem to have overtaken my writing, not sure why really. What is up with that? Am I losing my mind? Must be Insanity kicking in making me all kooky like. I CRAVE PIZZA AND BEER!)

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: