Friday, December 18, 2009

Winter Storm in the VA

CNN:

Virginia's governor declared a state of emergency Friday as a winter storm expected to pummel the East Coast this weekend began dumping snow in Virginia and North Carolina.
The storm is forecast to blast a narrow corridor from Richmond, Virginia, to Fredericksville, Pennsylvania, leaving interstates 95, 81, 64 and possibly 80 covered in significant snow, CNN meteorologist Chad Meyers said.


I, as you might know, grew up in Northern Virginia and I have always been amazed by how ill-prepared the metropolitan area was when it came to snow. It is literally a panic on roads, streets and in schools. We would get snow and people would act like they'd never seen it before, most resembling Hitchcock's The Birds.

What's was more odd to me was people would never do anything about it the next year. You would think they would at least have a contingency plan. Alas nothing has changed. I always wondered if it was more a political move to allow those who choose to live rich and in the "boondocks" (as we would call it) get away with their exclusive roads and communities. Closing schools was always the first option when you couldn't get the bus out to them and it always seemed liked the move was to appease the exclusive hoods. I didn't mind, I was a kid and loved missing school, but as I grew older I noticed even on skeptical days of "inclement weather" school was shut down. Maybe I am off, but then I read something like this.

William Kristol:

There's a really big snowstorm coming to D.C.tonight. It would be unsafe to ask all the staffers and Hill employees who'd be needed at the Capitol if Congress stays open all hours this weekend, as Harry Reid intends, to drive to and from work--especially since many will have to do so at night, and they won't be well-rested. So from the point of view of public safety and personal well-being, Ben Nelson can do everyone a favor, announce today he won't vote for cloture, and let everyone stay home this weekend.

I know Kristol is an unrepentant hack, but he probably isn't alone in his thinking. The Beltway would love the snowstorm to shut down the immediacy of the health care debate. But geez la weez it is snow, it is not the Day After Tomorrow. Or is that what really has Kristol shaking in his Uggs? I for one think most Virginians and those in the Metropolitan area just love staying in when it snows, so they find whatever possible way to stay in.

On a personal note safe trip to two people who know how to snow drive: Poppa Frank and Sister Frank who leave from Virginia on Monday to the Chi-Town.


I am Frank Chow and I approved this message


No comments: