Sunday, July 9, 2017

RIP to One of the AAPI Greats - the Minority Militant



I'm a year late and I hate myself for it. Today while looking for one of the Minority Militant's classic screeds, I stumbled upon his passing.

From his family's GoFundMe:

Keon Enoy Munedouang (August 17, 1980 - May 4, 2016) was a Navy veteran and a writer who lost his life last week at the age of 35. He immigrated as a child from Laos as a refugee. Keon enlisted as a young man in the U.S. Navy, achieving the rank of SK2. Upon receiving his honorable discharge, he became a writer and an activist, connecting with others through his spoken and written words. As a writer and activist, Keon's influence was huge. He was known among his peers for his sharp wit, courage, and sensitivity to the less fortunate. He always stood up for those who had no voice. His work inspired a fellow writer and activist to organize the Banana Conference, which eventually became V3Con, the largest Asian American social media conference in the world.

Keon leaves behind his mother, three sisters, two nieces, one nephew, and a community of friends. As a veteran who dutifully protected his country and served with honor, Keon was eligible for a full military burial. However, his family chose to honor him with a traditional Buddhist ceremony followed by cremation, which is in keeping with Lao customs.

Keon was loved by all. He was generous with his time and money and never asked for anything in return. We, Keon's family and friends, ask your help in celebrating Keon's short but amazing life. Keon was always a hero to those around him, standing up for the oppressed, the underserved, and the forgotten. We wish to send him off with a celebration that recognizes him for who he was.

My comment on BigWoWo's blog:

I was lucky enough to work with Keon on a project in Chicago. He was a passionate, funny and complex individual. His in person demeanor was different than his blogging one, but the fire was always there. He challenged me to be a better and a prouder Asian American.

I lost touch with Keon when I moved to California. Shortly after, he became quiet and recluse, and closed his blog down. I’ve been away for sometime from the blogosphere, but this has me nostalgic for the old days. No one could rip like the Minority Militant.

RIP Keon. The Minority Militant was the realest.

I only wish we could've stayed in touch more and created more. The world would be better for it. We need more like the Minority Militant, especially in today's political climate. Rage on in peace, Keon, may your diamond shine ever so bright.

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

1 comment:

Noah Roland said...

Hello everyone! my name is Noah, I'm writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR AKHIGBE that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for the past 6 months. After seeing a comment of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR AKHIGBE I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother 'I love my wife' Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or loves and family relationship. Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR AKHIGBE should contact him via E-mail: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com You can also call or contact him via whatsapp +2348142454860 He also cure deadly diseases and virus with his natural herbal medicine herbs. like
HIV/AIDS
HERPES
EPILEPSY
NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA
STROKE
EXTERNAL INFECTION
CANCER
DIABETES
CHRONIC DISEASE
HEPATITIS A&B AND OTHERS. his email again: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com
number : +2348142454860