Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Republicans and Rape Talks

I've decided to become a Catholic. It has been a rather long journey. A search of my soul, my spirit and my faith. I and I alone have come to this decision. The past month I've been attending mass with a group of fellow adults embarking on the same journey. Every Monday, that work permits, I attend a class for an hour and half. We talk and chat about the Bible, Jesus, God, the Disciples, the Church, traditions, specific verses; we dig deeper each class. It has been trying. I won't lie at times I've wanted to quit, yet something compels me to continue. I have faith it's the right path for me at this time. And although I don't always agree with various teachings or leanings; I know it is the right thing to do.

So when I read things like this it troubles me. It makes me sad and it's the exact opposite of what I've learned thus far:

Indiana Treasurer Richard Mourdock became the latest Republican to wander into eyebrow-raising territory when it came to the discussion of rape and abortion during a Senate debate Tuesday night.

Defending his stance that abortion should be illegal even in the case of rape, Mourdock explained that pregnancy resulting from nonconsensual sex is the will of God.

“I’ve struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God,” Mourdock said. “And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.”

They must be chatting with a different "Big Guy."


I am Frank Chow and I approved this message