Friday, December 30, 2011

Best of 2011: Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues



And it begins! With, predictably, music and the best songs of 2011. So the first in this installment is Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues. This song hits on all the ethereal notes of phenomenal folk music. Fleet Foxes released such a strong album and this so happens to be the defining song as well as the album's namesake, Helplessness Blues. There's a reason it was nominated for a Grammy, it is simply that good.

Lyrically the song levels me with its honesty and sincerity:

I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see
And now after some thinking, I'd say I'd rather be
A functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me

But I don't, I don't know what that will be
I'll get back to you someday soon you will see


I don't know about you, but basically that's how I've felt all of 2011.

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: