Monday, September 20, 2010

Doctor Revisited

Just got back from the doctor. I waited over an hour to see the Medicine Man, no I am not kidding he looks like the Medicine Man, and I walked out with prescriptions for some heavy stuff. Two of which are simply to mask the pain and discomfort, the other to offer minor relief during the day. He stated that when it comes to my particular back injury all signs point to "take pills and wait it out."

He also said something similar to this:

A bursa is a thin sac of tissue that contains fluid to lubricate the area and reduce friction. The bursa is a normal structure. The body will even produce a bursa in response to friction.

Think of a bursa like this. If you press your hands together and slide them against one another, you produce some friction. In fact, when your hands are cold you may rub them together briskly to create heat from the friction. Now imagine that you hold in your hands a small plastic sack that contains a few drops of salad oil. This sack would let your hands glide freely against each other without a lot of friction.


Followed by "yours is damaged!"

It is always nice to have a doctor not b.s. with you and luckily my doctor tells it like it is. I have to basically rest, attempt to walk as normal as possible and if after a week I still do not feel vast improvement I should begin physical therapy. The ironic part, of course, was that I was doing the best thing possible for my back by working my core, however that is how inevitably I was hurt. I wish there was a nifty metaphor I could insert here to tie this post together with our current politic landscape, but I am at a loss. Thems the bursa sacs ya'll!

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: