Monday, March 22, 2010

A Win for Green Arrow


If you check my "currently reading", I just finished a classic mash-up of Green Arrow and Green Lantern. The comic was written in the 70's, it is full of cheesy dialog, corny stereotypes and a version of Hal Jordan that I am glad does not exist anymore. The work, however is still relevant.

As I peeled through the pages, I was pleasantly surprised to find out Green Arrow was a full on dirty hippie fighting against the social injustices in America. He brings to light for Green Lantern (pun intended) the various wrongs going about in America at the time. Whether it was racial, societal or economical; Green Arrow is a champion for progressive issues throughout. He fights with Green Lantern to expose a land deal upending Native American rights, he exposes a landlord who abuses the poor and conducts backdoor deals, and he proves the importance of workers' rights in a small mining town just to name a few. It is only reasonable to conclude that health care reform is something Green Arrow would have backed wholeheartedly.

Forgiving the dated catch phrases and dialog, I couldn't help but appreciate the impact the comic must of had for young readers. Comics have long been more progressive in respect to currents events. I think there is something to be said for that. Perhaps it lies in the premise of many comics. Heroes. Villains. Fighting against injustice. Mutants (relates to those left out, the others). Enhanced super humans. It all leads to a bunch of dirty hippies with the hope and will for a better world.

I am not saying all those who write or read comics are hippies ex. Alan Moore. I am saying that it is an under appreciated aspect of the comic medium and that 1970's Green Arrow was right.


I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

1 comment:

DamonO said...

Writer Denny O'Neil and artist Neal Adams did some milestone work on that series