Monday, February 8, 2010

Cut the Bush Tax Cuts

What Booman says:

Maybe I am a poor judge of the mood of the electorate, but it seems to me that people are pissed off right now. And I don't think they are pissed off that those people living on Staten Island who make more than a quarter million dollars a year in gross income are paying too much in taxes. I don't think people are looking to the government to extend the tax cuts that the well-to-do received under President Bush. I know that the populist mood of the country is a bit inchoate and not necessarily logically consistent, but a common theme of anger is that we're running deficits that are too big. Since no one wants to pay for our government, it seems only natural that most people would support making people who make over $250,000 a year pay for it.

Yet, once again, we have a bunch of Democrats who don't want to change the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans. They say it will be a tough sell. Maybe it will be, I don't know. However, I think most people want to see financial services workers drawn and quartered, not extended more tax breaks. Is it me, or is everyone in Washington friggin' crazy?


I would add that I don't think most people know that if you make more than $250,000 you aren't taxed differently on all of it, only that which is above. I had an accountant friend tell me during the election he wouldn't vote for Obama because he plans on making more than $250,000 "some day." I had to explain to him how it works and he is the accountant.

Oregon figured it out. My thought is the majority of Americans don't give a damn about repealing the Bush Tax Cuts as long as it doesn't effect them. So it breaks down like this; the Congressperson voicing worries are either rich themselves or a corrupt corporatist. It really is that simple.

Tax them already.

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: