Thursday, January 7, 2010

Let the Shanahan Era Begin

Redskins.com: On Wednesday, Shanahan signed on with the Redskins as executive vice president/head coach, replacing Jim Zorn who was dismissed on Jan. 4. He brings leadership, discipline and a legacy of winning that includes two Super Bowl championships with the Broncos.

“I’m excited and honored to be the head coach of the Washington Redskins,” he said in a jam-packed auditorium at Redskins Park. “I promise you, I won’t disappoint you. I’m going to give it everything I’ve got.”

Shanahan joins executive vice president/general manager Bruce Allen in a new front office hierarchy at Redskins Park. Allen joined the Redskins on Dec. 17, replacing Vinny Cerrato.

Shanahan and Allen are taking the team in a new direction, one sorely needed after a 4-12 campaign in 2009.

When Snyder, Shanahan and Allen walked into Wednesday’s press conference, they shook hands and then Snyder stepped away and sat in the audience as Shanahan and Allen took center stage.

This was a clear departure of press conferences past.

This signaled that Shanahan and Allen were clearly the decision-makers of this new regime.


Now question is...does anyone want season tickets for the upcoming season?


I am Frank Chow and I am selling some tickets!

2 comments:

sterno said...

He brings leadership, discipline and a legacy of winning that includes two Super Bowl championships with the Broncos.

Speaking as a Broncos fan, I would suggest this is a bit hyperbolic? :)

Shanahan is an excellent tactician and he's got a really solid record on offense. However, he's also got a nasty habit of making bad draft picks and he's not good at getting players heads in the game.

My suspicion though is that he will be an asset to the Redskins. Figure he's going to bring Dennision over from Denver to be the offensive coordinator and that they'll emphasize rebuilding the very weak Skins offensive line. With a healthy clinton portis and the zone blocking scheme, Redskins should have an elite running game before long. He is a very offensive minded coach though so expect your defense to languish a bit.

I also suspect that Shanahan will be better for having gotten canned in Denver. I think he got a bit soft under the assumption that he had the job for life under Bowlen. Bowlen disabused him of that so maybe he'll correct some of his mistakes with you guys.

Good luck! I'm happy to have him in the NFC, and not competing with us too often :)

Oh and if you want a good if whiney pass reciever, I think we've got one of those available too :)

Asian-American Pundit said...

We have enough receivers.

Shanahan for President next! I am allowing him a full two years of the benefit of the doubt....but after that if I don't see results back to being a pissed off season ticket holder.

I hope Portis stays healthy, he has lot of mileage on him, but with an improved offensive line and scheme he could have a good year or two left in him.

GO SKINS!