Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Late Night Music with Maritime



Long before I ever knew I was going to be a failure at music, I started at least three bands a year until the age of 21. One of those inceptions was a carbon copy of all the bands we were listening to at the time, but mostly Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World and the Promise Ring.

Most of all I wanted to be and sound like Davey von Bohlen. The odd turns of his melodies and quirky lyrics made me want to dance in my skinny jeans. Needless to say I never became Davey von Bohlen and the band didn't sound like the Promise Ring either. Heck, we didn't get passed a basement show.

Maritime isn't the Promise Ring. It is its own thing. The similarities are certainly there, however the band misses some of the youthful playfulness that was so infectious with von Bohlen's earlier songs. Sometimes it is hard to admit that your teenage favorites have grown up. Maritime hits Chicago in February and I can't wait. It's not the Promise Ring, but I like where this band is headed.

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: