Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Late Night Music with Frank- Q-Tip




I grew up luckily with an older brother who was way into A Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of the New School and De La Soul. Hearing Tribe at a young age defined hip-hop for me. Of all the current versions of rap today, the one that still is the sound of the street is the original hip hop; it's still remains fresh and new. There isn't a modern emcee who is saying it like Q-Tip. The beats are understated, the lyrics matter and overall there isn't bragadocious self-flaunting or money flying in the air over spinners and dubs assisted by vocoders and autotune.

Q-Tip's distinct flow and understated delivering with syncopated rhythms and the occasional exclamation is proof of his prowess. This is the same man I heard here and his latest album "Renaissance" is exactly how it should sound. In addition anybody who drops a line like "rearrange all your molecules like Dr. Strange" deserves all the accolades a man can get. A Marvel Universe line in a hip hop song and it makes sense in context, Q-Tip I thank you.


I am Frank Chow and I approved this message.


Shout out to Ricky Carmona, a great Chicago comic.

No comments: