Friday, January 7, 2011

Headslamondesk Defined

Steven Benen finds another Obamacare hatin Patriot who wants his own gubbament health care:

Now, we have another example from the same freshman class, Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), who also ran while railing against health care reform, and who now wants his taxpayer-subsidized insurance.

[Grimm] pledged to pursue his party's top agenda item in one of the most polarized political fights -- repealing health care reform.

And he flatly rejected Democratic charges that taking government-funded health care with his new job is hypocritical when he wants to repeal reform meant to give care to millions.

"What am I, not supposed to have health care?" he said. "It's practicality. I'm not going to become a burden for the state because I don't have health care, and God forbid I get into an accident and I can't afford the operation. That can happen to anyone."


Right about now, I'm trying to figure out how to type the sound of me slapping my hand against my forehead.

Let's put this in a way Grimm might understand. I'd like him to imagine what would happen if he and his buddies successfully gutted the health care system. For the tens of millions of Americans who'd get screwed over by such a move, what, are they not supposed to have health care? Is it not a "practicality" for them and their families?

What happens if, God forbid, someone gets into an accident and can't afford the operation -- a scenario that "can happen to anyone" -- and this happens after Grimm and his cohorts have scrapped the entirety of the Affordable Care Act? Should they become "a burden for the state"?

What we're left with is a politician who's absolutely convinced that, after a couple of days on the job, he's earned government-subsidized health care coverage, and equally convinced that it's his job to deny similar coverage to you.

It's amazing these guys get elected.

*Headslamondesk indeed.

I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: