Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Late Night Music with Frank- the Juliana Theory



It wasn't long when Juliana Theory was one of the bands I related to...I know, pause for a second and think ten years ago; I was still a teenager. It isn't as bad as you think. At that time, I recall driving hours to see Juliana Theory only to find out they couldn't make the show. Juliana Theory with their first two releases related to all the teen angst and struggle one might have had...imagine Dawson's Creek in a mix cd. 

With no loss of experience my friends and I were able to see Hot Rod Circuit and some band I would like to forget for their pre-Fall Out Boy tendencies (we also barely missed Fairweather, a local favorite. ) It was one of those events in your life, where you sat in the back of a van, near a church and listened to independent music while still seeming so cool. It was unique. It was ours. It couldn't have come at a better time. I had lost my mother to her battle with cancer. I had struggled with understanding where I was in life, but I was in a car and got to go to a concert with my best friends...all the hardships were inconsequential . It was pleasant. It was an escape. My friends and I spoke about records and movies and all those things teens do. We sipped someone else's wine. We drove our parent's cars. It was paramount. I was just beginning college, but Juliana Theory made sense and their show made sense even if we didn't get to see them.

"Duane Joseph" is a song that sums all of that up. The feeling of carelessness. I miss it. All of it. We were once young and clueless, where we would drive hours to a show, that might be cancelled, without a care. I miss that part in my life when my friends and I were still naive. 

I am at a point in my life where things have changed and that I have changed. But as 2010 creeps a fifth day on us, I want a resolution; I would like for 2010 to give me a Juliana Theory moment every now and again....

January 4th my mother would have been 58. I need a day off. 


I am Frank Chow and I approved this message


1 comment:

Paddy K said...

Praying for you and your family at a tough time of the year. Your mom is sorely missed.