Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Late Night Music with P.O.S.



Last winter I spent a lot of time listening to Bon Iver, City and Colour, and Explosions in the Sky. I wouldn't say it played into the seasonal depression I was feeling, but it didn't help. This winter I am trying something a little different, luckily a couple of different late releases by Tegan and Sara, Brand New, Say Anything and Converge have me up. P.O.S. is on that list too. I was late to the P.O.S. fandom, but he is as a legit of a cross over from my early hip hop influences such as De La Soul and Tribe Called Quest to my teen years when I was heavily influenced by the D.C. punk and the hardcore scene. Just listen to his track "Drumroll"; it is sick. And I don't use that word lightly.

Pastepunk recently interviewed P.O.S. you can read the whole thing here, but this excerpt had me stretching a smile:

Pastepunk: Talk to me about CONVERGE…

Stef: CONVERGE is great. CONVERGE has been a great band to listen to since Jane Doe all the way up through, as far as I’m concerned, that’s when I got into them. Great band. I’ve had the pleasure of seeing CONVERGE a couple times and those guys put on a great show. I was on tour with ATMOSPHERE in Tornoto, three, four years ago.They were playing the small room while ATMOSPHERE was playing the big room, and I was opening for ATMOSPHERE, and I just happened to notice they were playing, skip ATMOSPHERE’s set, go watch them. I met Jake afterwards and that’s how I got those two shirts, I have two shirts he designed for me, I met him at that show, gave him my first record Ipecac Neat, Wes from Burlesque told me that on CONVERGE’s site, he had put Ipecac Neat as one of his favorite records of the year, so I just wrote him an email saying “You wanna do some shirts?” and he said “Absolutely”. It was pretty exciting for me.

You can follow P.O.S. at his website, rock the eff on.


I am Frank Chow and I approved this message

No comments: